Oct 12, 2014

Ghoul Glam

Project Runway with hosts Tim Gunn and Heidi Klum is one of my TV obsessions; I especially love the challenges where the designers have to "make it work" by upcycling past looks and unconventional materials.  I enjoy seeing them get inspired by the simplest things such as a walk on the streets of NYC, or a piece of jewelry, or nostalgic characters like Miss Piggy or American Girl Dolls.  So when my daughter requested to be a Monster High Doll for Halloween I had mixed emotions.  On one hand I had to accept the fact that my little girl was leaving the magical world of Disney where everything is princess inspired faith, trust and pixie dust (she hasn't completely abandoned the magic).  But on the other hand a Monster High costume could be a fun challenge to make, and she could wear the pieces individually after Halloween.  So I accepted the challenge.

INSPIRATION:  Draculaura

Kenedi requested to be Draculaura
Draculaura typically wears pink, black and white.  Her skirts are short and frilly and she wears a ruffle/vintage-like shirt and a fitted vest or jacket.  The key items that I made to reinvent her look included a pink, black and white tulle skirt and customized a denim vest.

You've probably seen YouTube tutorials on how to make a tutu.  As much as I love Project Runway I can not sew, so this no sew method is easy and cute.

Purchase tulle from any craft store. The tulle I used was 50% off at Michaels.  For a fuller skirt get at least 4 spools.  You will also need elastic. 
Measure your tulle to your model.  Once you have decided the length of your skirt, start cutting the tulle into strips.  You are going to fold the strips over so you want to cut twice the size of the length for each strip. 
Tie the elastic around your model, dress form or even a chair.  I didn't tie it too tight at first because I wanted to leave room for any alterations if needed.  Using two pieces of tulle, wrap it around the elastic and tie it.  Pull tightly.  For a fuller skirt use more strips of tulle. 

Continue to tie the tulle around the skirt until all of the elastic is covered. 

I added a sequin bow to the front of the skirt for an extra touch of glam.
For Draculaura's jacket, I scored a thrifted denim vest for only $2.23.  I customized it by printing the official Monster High logo on the back (so she knows it's real).
Kharismatic Kreations prints customized jackets, hoodies, and sweatshirts too!

Add on a pink wig, and a ruffle shirt, and Kenedi is too ghoul for school!

INSPIRATION:  Clawdeen Wolf

I'm not a super huge fan of Monster High, but if I had to pick, I would have picked Clawdeen.  Maybe it's my love of animal print that draws me to the foxy wolf.  But nonetheless, Kenedi had her mind made up to be Draculaura.  So I decided to participate in the dress up fun as Clawdeen.  The only items I had to make for this particular costume was a tulle skirt for me and wolf ears.  I used the same process to make a tulle skirt in my size. The wolf ears were really easy.

I used a wired headband I already had and 2 pipe cleaners.  Just shape the pipe cleaner to a point and wrap the remainder around the headband.  Repeat for each ear. 
The rest of my costume included items I had in my closet.  A leopard pencil skirt was pulled up and used as a tube top and covered with a shrug. 
Some added fur to my shrug would have been a nice touch.
 Ghoul Glamming!!

No comments:

Post a Comment